Friday, February 17, 2017

IVF Update | 1st Monitoring Appointment, 4 Days of Stims

Looking at the monitor during my first monitoring appointment.

After four days of stims (that's what we call injections in the IVF world), I had my first monitoring appointment this morning. While I've managed to stay relatively zen this week, likely in part to focusing on self-care and kicking my cold, I did feel a bit nervous as we neared the clinic and I wondered what the monitor would show. Fortunately, my husband was able to come with me to this initial appointment. I know he won't be there for every ultrasound and blood draw, but it was nice to have a little extra moral support this morning!

There was an immediate sense of relief when the ultrasonographer very quickly found my left ovary. Typically, my left ovary is very difficult to find and it can be quite the uncomfortable search on my end. But there it was, clear as day. We knew that must mean that follicles were growing inside.

The technician continued to scan around, left and right, measuring the diameters of the visible follicles as well as the thickness of my uterine lining. Normally looking at the screen gives me the heebie jeebies (I'm not sure why!) but I decided I needed to watch today. And I honestly don't know how they can make heads or tails of the blurry mess on the screen. Good thing that's not my job! The sonographer informed us that I had four follicles in the left ovary and five in the right. Most were generally around the same size except one large fella in my left ovary. And my endometrium measured at about 7mm, which the tech said was good. She couldn't speak to whether or not the number and size of the follicles was good or bad; every woman and every cycle is different. And, of course, she doesn't know the details of my specific case, either. She printed out a copy of the results and I figured I would have to go home and Google.

Follicle count during my first monitoring appointment, four days into stimming.

Luckily, my nurse case manager, Valeri, called me before I had a chance to fall down an Internet rabbit hole. (Though, I did find this informative article about monitoring from a reputable source.) I told Valeri that I had my results from my monitoring appointment but that because I wasn't sure what the "goal" was today, I wasn't sure how well I was doing. First, she said that my only "goal" is to take my medications correctly. As long as I'm doing that, I'm doing everything I can, and how my body responds is not really up to me. So true! And a good reminder. Second, my nurse echoed the tech's comments that every woman and every cycle is different. But, given that I was worried I wouldn't respond well, she thinks that I am "off to a good start" and that the number and size of the follicles is average. I told Valeri with a laugh: I'll take average!

Obviously, the more follicles the better, and she said that a few more may crop up between now and the egg retrieval. Plus, when I am under anesthesia and the doctor can do a bit more digging, they might find follicles not visible during the ultrasounds.

For now, we're happy with and optimistic about my progress. I've been instructed to continue taking my FSH (follicle stimulating hormones) at the same dosage, and to add my antagonist (Cetrotide) tomorrow night. That injection is used to prevent premature ovulation. Since one of the follicles in my left ovary is substantially larger than the rest, Valeri said they want to hold that guy back a bit while giving the other follies a chance to catch up and "join the party." 

You hear that ovaries? Grow, follies, grow!

My next monitoring appointment is scheduled for Sunday morning and then I'll be back in Tuesday for another ultrasound and blood draw as well as a pre-op consult. Egg retrieval is about a week or so away!

No comments:

Post a Comment