Sunday, July 30, 2017

Baby T's Nursery: Inspiration & Vision Board


source
source
source
source
source
source


Even before we got pregnant, I already had a strong vision for what our baby’s nursery would look like. I knew I didn’t want the stereotypical all-pink or all-blue room, dictated by the sex of the baby. I imagined something more neutral, something stylish and in keeping with our personal aesthetic. I’d like a place that feels relaxing and calming — like a retreat, even in the midst of the newborn craziness that will undoubtedly ensue. And yet, I do still want it to feel like a child’s room, one where she will learn and play and, hopefully, grow into.

I’ve always been drawn to soft pastels and I adore succulents and cacti. (As one look at our wedding album would reveal!) And since Greg and I both grew up in Southern California, and were married in San Diego, it is no surprise that my inspiration for Baby T’s nursery is the colors and imagery of the desert. I would describe the design style as mid-century modern with a dash of bohemian spirit. I love the clean lines of mid-mod furniture, and a bit of boho flair — through geometric patterns, natural fibers and fringe — adds texture and whimsy to the room.

White, grey, sage and light wood tones were always the base of the color palette. But now that we know Baby Thilgen is a girl, hues of blush, lavender and peach are welcome in the mix. 

The nursery is still a work in progress — in my mind, at least. In fact, nothing has been done physically to a room because we are hoping that we will get released from our current military housing, though we are running out of time. I don’t want to be putting a nursery together weeks before the baby is due! Fortunately, we are not totally behind; we have purchased many of the “big ticket” items. It’s the little details that are still being debated (by myself, I’m so indecisive!), and since I don’t have anything actually set up, creating a vision board has helped to visualize how the room will come together.

This is the vision board I assembled before we knew “he” or “she.” It is the foundation to which we will add more colorful elements.

Babyletto Lolly 3-in-1 Convertible Crib - purchased!
Babyletto Lolly Changer Dresser - purchased!
JellyCat Bashful Toffee Puppy (reminds me of my favorite childhood stuffed animal) - purchased!
Lorena Canals Basket Leaf Natural
Cactus Light - purchased!
Ikea Shelving Unit and Baskets
Hexagonal Mid Century Accent Table - purchased!
Nursery Works Sleepytime Rocker
Leather Pouf
Wilderness Map Toddler Quilt - purchased! (thankfully, because it is sold out now)
Natural Canvas Teepee
Tassel and Feather Mobile
Anza Knotted Trim Dye-Stripe Rug
Initial Banner
Cactus Art by Wilder California


The past several weeks have been spent searching online for the perfect rocker and rug and while the jury is still out on the rocker (I love the look, but it is a bit pricey and I worry that the chair back isn't high enough) I did finally pull the trigger on a rug. Partly because, as I told my husband the other night, I was so over the rug hunt. I looked at what feels like hundreds of rugs online. Finding one that met my style expectations as well as budget was starting to feel like an impossible task! And even after I had narrowed my choices down to a few favorites, I then started to fret about what the rugs were made of. 

Because I work for Anthropologie, I knew the best deal would be purchasing a rug from Anthro or Urban Outfitters during employee appreciation, which recently came around again. So it was now or never, as they say! In the end, my husband and I decided on a tilework-inspired wool and cotton rug that was in the running early on, except that we went with a colorway we had initially nixed. But after seeing it together with the other items on the vision board, the rug suddenly seemed to be a perfect fit, adding a much needed pop of color and interest. Plus, there's (braided!) fringe, a must-have for me.


Caravan Rug

We've purchased a few other items not on the vision board, as well: a metallic gold watercolor hamper tote, crocheted crib skirt, and a small faux-sheepskin rug. I've registered for things too, of course, but I'm still searching for crib sheets that seamlessly work with the overall theme. (Though, I know I'll need several sheets on hand since messes will most definitely happen, and I'm trying to tell myself that it is OK if everything isn't perfectly coordinated all the time!). In addition, I'm debating between a few lovely artisan-crafted decor pieces on Etsy (this dreamcatcher, this mobile, this custom embroidered hoop) and I am planning on making, with my hubby's help, a hand-lettered wooden sign to hang on the wall.

Planning for the nursery has been stressful at times (I'm an indecisive and particular perfectionist after all), and we still have our fingers and toes crossed that we will get released from housing before October (!!!), but I've mostly enjoyed the process of dreaming up a room that Baby T and I will spend a lot of time in once she is here.

Am I missing anything from my vision board? Any nursery items or decor that I just have to have? Share in the comments! 

Wild and Free Embroidered Hoop

P.S. It goes without saying, I'll post a nursery reveal after baby girl makes her arrival in November!


(Top image graphic: Macrame Fringe Banner)
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment